Labels

vrijdag 31 juli 2026

2026/31 - July is a strange month

 On the one hand my town is bursting to the seams with tourists, on the other most people I know have left for other places. It makes for a strange couple of weeks. Still, visiting my garden is a recurring routine, (aren't they all 😂) and thankfully I still have water to give to my veg, despite the weeks without rain.


I've used my garden as an inspiration for my latest painting, for the upcoming exhibition in September. I wish I could say this cockerel is mine, but alas. I'd love to get me some chickens, but I will be sensible and will not. The responsibility for my senior dog is quite enough for now.


Yesterday she saw the resident beaver again, and this time realised it is quite a large animal. Eventhough the beaver immediately fled into the water of the sloot, Puck thought it very scary. All the way home she kept looking over her shoulder to make sure it didn't follow her home!




My wildflower meadow underneath the apple trees is attracting the insects, such as they are. The overcast skies of this last week has meant that I hardly see any. 

But the apples, plums and figs around my garden are doing well. It is always a race who will get the ripe figs, the birds or me. The birds always win...Unfortunately they just take one beak full and leave the rest...The plums are rock hard still.

But my friend has a plum tree which has a massive crop this year, and they are ripe, so she brought me a couple of kilos. I washed and pitted them, and then froze them.


But I had my own harvest...massive cucumbers, and the first three bland tomatoes.

I cannot eat that much cucumber, so I preserve the leftover in apple vinegar. It keeps for months.


Random pic: yesterday I had lunch on one of Rotterdam's roofs: Ted's, it is called. If ever you find yourself in the town of my birth, do search this out! It is an allotment on a roof, with a restaurant, very cool!

Okay, I'll leave you with some photos I took very early this morning, along the Brielse Maas.






Do visit my website at Renée Grashoff Schrijft , translator button provided, and have a lovely week, wherever you are.


Renée Grashoff 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

2026/31 - July is a strange month

  On the one hand my town is bursting to the seams with tourists, on the other most people I know have left for other places. It makes for a...